About Menya Hinga
Hi! My name is Menya, like Kenya with an “M”
and I help busy professionals get in the best shape of their lives by teaching them the skills and habits necessary to achieve optimal fitness and create lasting health.
As a health coach, fitness trainer, and small business owner in Tokyo, Japan, I’m well acquainted with the challenges related to balancing work, family, and healthy lifestyle choices with a busy schedule.
I began my career as a fitness professional in early 2011—two years after moving to Japan—and have since invested thousands of dollars and countless hours into professional development as a trainer and coach with the aid of books, seminars, hands-on courses, and the mentorship of other professionals in subjects ranging from peak performance and lifestyle optimization to epigenetics and holistic health.
Over the past 8 years I’ve had the privilege of helping thousands of people and some of the most respected companies in the world promote fitness culture and healthy lifestyle change as a trainer, coach, Co-founder and Director at SOGO Fitness—a non-profit fitness empowerment platform—and Co-founder of CoFit Movement—a corporate wellness startup based in Tokyo, Japan.
I always loved to exercise but never imagined that I would be a health coach.
Born near Boston to parents from Kenya, I was always interested in sports, music, video games, and girls. I excelled as a runner and dreamt of competing in the Olympics but I never understood how to eat, train, or properly take care of myself as a budding student athlete.
I graduated from Colby College with two degrees—one in Music and one in English—and the intention of attending law school until I realized that I needed a break from academia. So during my final year of college I booked a one-way ticket to embark on a new chapter in a distant world.
After 18 months of working as an English teaching assistant at a number of Junior High Schools near Nagoya, Japan, I realized that English teaching wasn’t for me. So I packed my bags again and moved to Tokyo where I made a living as a freelance model and musician for nearly a year. It was the wildest year of my entire life but I eventually transitioned to a career in another exciting area of interest: Fitness.
These pictures were taken over an 11 year timespan. The first is from college, the second is from Nagoya, and the third is from Tokyo.
When I was younger I thought it was impossible to build muscle because of my Kenyan genes. Then I moved to Japan determined to get in great shape but just became chubby and frustrated instead.
It wasn’t until I carefully studied and experimented with strength training, sports nutrition, functional movement and more that I finally acquired the tools and confidence necessary to overcome years of self-doubt and build the body that I had always wanted.
And it’s because of those years of frustration and disappointment that I’ve chosen to share what I’ve learned with others and give them the support that I wish I’d had when I was in their shoes.
What I’ve learned along the journey is that seeking help is a strength, not a weakness, and that anything is possible if you’re willing to ask questions then take appropriate action. So today I’m honored to share my passion with people from all corners of the world.
Qualifications & Credentials
Founder & CEO, MH Health Coaching
Co-founder & Head Coach, CoFit Movement
Co-founder & Director of Operations, SOGO Fitness
Level 1 Certified Functional Strength Coach, Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning
Level 1 Certified Nutrition Coach, Precision Nutrition
Certified Personal Trainer, National Strength and Conditioning Association
Level 1 Certified Instructor, Animal Flow
CPR / AED, Japanese Red Cross Society
- The piano is my first love and I’ve been playing since I was 8 years old.
- Everyone thinks I’m 6 feet tall (183cm) but I’m actually 5’11” (180cm).
- Menya like Kenya is a convenient coincidence because it’s easy to remember and reveals my ancestry.
- I have no food allergies but often lie to servers when eating out in order to exchange french fries for salad.
- I enjoy cleaning, taking notes, creating lists, and organizing more than any sane person should. If being organized were a field of study I would hold a doctorate degree.
- I once won a regional tournament playing Super Smash Bros. on Nintendo 64. I still have the 4-foot-tall Star Fox trophy and plan to take it with me to the grave.
- I didn’t know that I can grow a goatee until earlier this year. I’m 32 years old…🤦🏾
- I recently started using paraben and aluminum-free deodorant. It doesn’t protect as well but it smells fantastic and I feel pretty good about the decision.
- In college I wore a combination of braces and Invisalign for nearly 18 months. It was embarrassing but worth it.
- I always eat my food in circles and finish by putting a little bit of everything in my mouth at the same time. I think it’s pretty weird but it makes me happy.
- If you’re still reading this you should follow me on Instagram, subscribe to my YouTube channel, then learn more about the real reason you came here.
At MH Health Coaching we work with busy professionals using a proprietary system called the Holistic Fitness Program to help them eliminate confusion and learn to control their diet so they can transform their bodies and lives forever.
The science-based system is based on the Holistic Fitness Principles, which are based on 8+ years of study and first-hand experience in the field of fitness. This approach to health is from multiple angles including sleep, stress, nutrition, supplements, hormones, movement, cognitive function, emotional stability, and environmental exposures, in order to create deep understanding and optimize client results.
- We believe that our first responsibility is to meet the needs of our clients and staff, ensuring that everything we do is of the highest quality.
- We must also strive to provide excellent value at a reasonable price.
- We must experiment with new ideas, innovate when necessary, and invest in continued education for all.
- We are responsible to our partners who work with us around the world.
- We must provide an inclusive environment where everyone has a voice and is treated fairly.
- We must respect one another and recognize merit.
- We must ensure a sense of security, fulfillment and purpose for all.
- We must support the health and well-being of our partners and help them fulfill their personal responsibilities.
- We are responsible to the communities in which we live and work.
- We must help people become healthier by supporting them in every way possible.
If you’d like to learn more about the Holistic Fitness Principles, click here.
If you’d like to apply for the Holistic Fitness Program, schedule a free consultation here.
How To Apply For Coaching
The Holistic Fitness Program™ is an invite-only online program consisting of 1-on-1 coaching with Menya to help you reach your health-related goals.
READ CAREFULLY: To be invited to the Holistic Fitness Program, you must first book a free
Discovery Session. This is an opportunity to create a framework for achieving your goals and an informal interview to determine if you’re a good fit for the program.
The Discovery Session provides massive value because…
- We’ll identify your current sticking points so you know exactly what’s holding you back from reaching your goals.
- We’ll help you determine the right goal and direction to provide you with clarity on where to take your fitness long-term.
- Then we’ll connect the dots so you’ll know the next step to take in order to reach your goal.
- Lastly, if you’re a good fit for the program and are interested in coaching, we’ll be able to discuss details there and then. You’ll learn how it all works, what is involved, the total investment, and how to get started.
Note: All applications are reviewed by Menya and none of the information shared will be used for any purpose other than to optimize your coaching experience.